Thursday, April 9, 2009

I don't like the movie Iron Man


Everyone raves about what an amazing movie Iron Man was.

I thought it was terrible. The script suffered from extreme multiple personality disorder. Every three minutes I had to ask myself what genre I was witnessing. Is it campy fun? a comedy? high-tech? an action movie? dramatic?

The answer to those questions is 'No.' It tried to be all of them and made me feel like I was watching the film version of Frankenstein's monster. Nothing blended. They have one scene where Tony Stark's high-tech chest gizmo looks like a soup can stuffed into his chest with a light bulb screwed in for special effect. They have another scene where Stark is building super high tech gadgetry which makes him fly. Which is it Ironman?! Is it cheesy campy soup can chest goodness, or is it high tech transformers-movie-worthy gadgetry? Pick one.

Also, while the trio of stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Robert Downey Jr., and Jeff Bridges worked hard to carry the film to its conclusion, Bridges ends up being the only interesting performer onscreen.

I don't think anyone can fault Paltrow or Downey though, they turn in admirable performances given what the script demands of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment